Traveling with kids can be a real challenge, and many parents might look at the idea of taking their little ones on a family getaway as more of a nightmare than an enjoyable experience. But it doesn’t have to be that way! With the right strategies in place, you can make traveling with your children an easier—and more fun—endeavor for everyone, kids and parents alike.
In this post, you’ll find 11 must-know tips for traveling with kids that will help make your family getaways a breeze. From keeping them comfortable and entertained to packing the right items and accessories, these tips are sure to help you enjoy an enjoyable and stress-free trip.
1. Comfort Is Key: When traveling with kids, it's important to ensure their comfort throughout the journey. One way to do this is by packing cozy items like pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals. Not only will these items keep them warm and snug during the trip, but they can also provide a sense of familiarity and security in an unfamiliar environment. One often overlooked essential is headphones. Many young kids to not like the feel of earbuds and standard headphones can be bulky and uncomfortable. On the other hand, there are headband headphones, that fit snuggly around the head, have volume limiting for hearing protection, and don't interfere with carseats or headrests, allowing your little one to drift away to sleep while you continue on your journey.
OUR PICK: CozyPhones Kids Headband Headphones for Travel
2. Everyone Loves a Blankey:
Traveling with a comfortable blanket for kids is an excellent way to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey. A cozy blanket can help to keep children warm and relaxed, providing a sense of security and familiarity that can help them to feel more at ease during the trip. Especially helpful on those airplane trips where temperature swings can be quite abrupt.
OUR PICK: Wildkin Plush Throw Blanket for Toddler Boys and Girls
3. Beat Boredom: Bring along activities that will keep your kids entertained throughout the trip. Whether it’s books, coloring books, puzzles or a mobile device loaded with games and videos, make sure to have plenty of options for them to choose from to avoid boredom-induced meltdowns!
OUR PICK: Erasable Book Doodle Set for Kids
4. Keep Kids Gear Organized: To help you stay organized while traveling with kids, invest in a kids gear organizer. This is super handy to keep all their great in one place while giving them easy access to it.
Our Pick: Lusso Gear Kids Travel Tray Organizer
5. Select the Right Luggage for Kids: When packing for your family’s next adventure, make sure to bring all the essentials. Kids luggage is especially important for any family trip, as it will keep your little ones’ belongings well organized and easy to find on the go. Look for a kids suitcase with wheels and an easy to use handle so your children can maneuver it with little effort.
Our Pick: Rockland Jr. Kids' My First Hardside Spinner
6. Be Prepared with Essential Travel Gear: When preparing for a family trip, don't forget to bring some essential travel gear that can make your journey more comfortable and enjoyable for everyone. Car seats, strollers, and booster seats are some of the must-have items that can keep your little ones safe and secure while you're on the move. So, make sure to pack these items, along with any other necessary gear, to ensure a stress-free and smooth travel experience.
OUR PICK: BubbleBum Inflatable Travel Booster Seat
7. Snacks, Snacks and More Snacks: Snacks are an important part of any family trip. To make sure your kids stay energized and happy while traveling, opt for snacks that are easy to pack, easy to access, and pass through airport security. Low-sugar granola bars, trail mixes, and fruit leather are all good options that are lightweight and provide a boost of energy. If you’re looking for something a bit more indulgent, consider individually wrapped snacks and treats like chips, chocolate, and cookies.
OUR PICK: GoGo squeeZ Fruit on the Go Space ExplorerZ
8. Keep Them Hydrated and Happy: When it comes to staying hydrated while traveling with kids, it's important to take extra precautions. Airport security can often cause delays, so make sure to bring an empty water bottle with a leak-proof lid that won't set off metal detectors. For added convenience, look for water bottles that are dishwasher safe and easy to clean and fill on the go.
OUR PICK: Zak Designs 16oz Riverside Kids Water Bottle
9. Establish Expectations and Engage : Setting expectations is key to an enjoyable and stress-free trip. Explain to your kids how long the trip will take and where you will be going. Let them know what to expect and what the rules are so that they are prepared and won’t be asking “are we there yet” every five minutes. It’s also a good idea to bring along activities that are tailored to the destination. For example, if you are going to a beach, bring along some beach toys, or if you are going to a museum, bring along some age-appropriate books or activities related to the exhibits. This will help keep kids engaged throughout the trip.
OUR PICK: Road Trip Activities and Travel Journal for Kids
10. Prepare for Potty Training on the Go: When traveling with kids who are in potty training, it's important to be prepared and have the necessary items on hand. For accidents, bring an extra set of clothes and a wipes to make cleaning up easier. You may also bring a travel potty seat for your child to use in public restrooms and bring along plenty of spare wipes and tissues. If you're potty training a toddler, you may also want to consider bringing a potty chart to help encourage good potty habits and reward your child for successful trips to the toilet.
OUR PICK: Portable Folding Silicone Potty Training Seat for Boys & Girls
11. Sun Protection is Critical: When traveling with kids, sun protection is a must-have. Kids are often exposed to the sun in environments such as the beach, the pool, or even on a long car ride. In addition to the potential for sunburn, exposure to the sun can also lead to dehydration and heat exhaustion. To keep kids safe and comfortable, it's important to consider items such as hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, car window shades and sun tents.
OUR PICK: CARAMAZ Car Window Shade for Kids with Certified UV-Protection
12. Eliminate Ear Pain in the Air: When flying on an airplane, young children are especially prone to ear pain due to the change in cabin pressure. To prevent ear pain, it's important to make sure your child is sucking or swallowing during the take-off and landing to equalize pressure in the ear. To help encourage this behavior, consider bringing along the snacks or drinks especially for these times. Also consider specially made ear plugs for just this situation.
OUR PICK: Original Children's EarPlanes by Cirrus Healthcare
BONUS TIP - Because Vomit is a Deal Killer :-(
13. Avoid the Motion Sickness Spoiler: Motion sickness can be an unfortunate reality of traveling with young children. To help prepare and avoid motion sickness both in the air and on the road, it's helpful to have the right remedies and preventative products. In addition to over-the-counter remedies, motion-sickness wrist-bands can be used to reduce symptoms such as nausea and dizziness. In addition, natural remedies such as ginger chewables and essential oils can be used to soothe the stomach and reduce symptoms.
OUR PICK: Motion Sickness Bands for Kids
Traveling with kids can be a truly rewarding experience for the whole family. Even the most apprehensive parent can find joy in watching a child’s wonderment as they experience a new place or activity. With the right preparations, family trips can create memories that will last a lifetime. From finding the best headphones for your child’s comfort to keeping them entertained throughout the journey, traveling with kids can be an incredible experience for the whole family.
Happy Travels 🙂